August 17, 2021 -- It's back-to-school time for all Highland Park schools! The City reminds the community to adhere to important traffic and pedestrian safety tips. Please review this information with your children.
The City works closely with both School Districts to improve traffic flow, parking options, drop-off and pick-up locations and procedures and signage at and around many schools, in an effort to encourage traffic compliance to keep our community safe.
Please help increase traffic and pedestrian safety by following the rules below.
- Learn where designated drop-off and pick-up areas are located at your child's respective school are and utilize them. Do not use City streets for drop-off and pick-up; this greatly increases the risk to children and pedestrians.
- Encourage children to use school buses and carpools to reduce the amount of vehicle traffic and pollution at and near schools.
- Obey existing State and City traffic and parking laws at all times.
- Do not pass stopped school buses that are loading or unloading passengers while their lights are flashing and its stop signal arm is extended.
- Obey State laws and City ordinances pertaining to Electronic Communication Devices and Wireless Telephone use:
- A person may not operate a motor vehicle on the road while using an Electronic Communication Device to compose, send or receive electronic messages.
- A person may not use a hand-held telephone at any time while operating a motor vehicle on a City roadway unless it is utilized in a hands-free mode.