2. Gather supporting documentation (see requirements below).
3. Submit all documents to the Building Department via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at 1150 Half Day Rd., Highland Park, IL 60035 (drop box available after hours).
* Incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
* All applications and supporting documentation must be submitted at the same time.
* Permit fees are calculated according to the City's annual fee schedule upon completion of the review.
Building Department Inspections
Required Inspections Matrix (11x17)
Required Inspections Matrix (8.5x11)
Residential Alarm Pre-Inspection Checklist
Inspection requests can be sent to email@example.com.
Inspection Requests Must Include:
- Property address
- Permit number(s)
- ALL requested inspection type(s)
- Name, phone, & email of contact for day of inspection
- Preferred timeframe of AM (8am-12pm) or PM (12pm-3pm).
The cutoff time is 2:30pm for an inspection on the next business day.
- Incomplete requests will not be scheduled.
Permit Extension Requests
1. Email requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Include construction site address(es) and permit number(s).
* 1st extension (for 6 months) is free.
Change of Contractor Process
1. Download, complete, and sign a Change of Contractor request.
2. Download, complete, and sign a new application(s).
Include existing permit number(s).
3. Email request to email@example.com with all forms.
4. The email subject line should read:
Change of Contractor Request: (ADDRESS)
Permit Application Forms
Other Permit-Related Forms & Information
- J.U.L.I.E.: Contact J.U.L.I.E. before you dig at https://www.illinois1call.com/ or call 811 or 800.892.0123.
- General Easement Waiver: Required for work in or through a City or utility company easement.
- WDO Application: Watershed Development Ordinance permit required from Lake County for work inside of a floodplain.
- North Shore Water Reclamation Guides: Information regarding when sanitary permits are required from NSWRD.
- North Shore Water Reclamation Contact: Contact information for NSWRD.
Permit Submittal Requirements
Online Permitting Status
Online permitting allows people to view information regarding building permits, including the results of inspections. Access Online Permitting Services
- When entering an address to call up a permit, it is not necessary to enter the whole street name. You may enter the street number and the first few letters of the street name followed by an asterisk (*), then hit search.
- For example, entering “1150 Ha*” would call up the permits for 1150 Half Day Road. Two periods (..) can be used to search a range.
- For example, 09/07/2009..09/09/2009 will retrieve all the permits from 09/07/2009 to 09/09/2009.
- If you wish to log in (not required):
- Choose "Registered Users" or "New User."
- Follow the prompts to enter or create your user name and password.