Please contact the Finance Department at 847.432.0800 or email@example.com, if this is an urgent matter.
Local Records - Birth and Death Certificates
The City of Highland Park preserves local records on births and deaths that occur within its district. Since birth and death records first became archived in 1916, thousands have been placed on file, including some delayed records dating back to the mid-1800s.
Birth certificates are $15 for the first certified copy and $4 for each additional certified copy.
Birth Certificate Application (Spanish version)
- Access to birth records is restricted. Birth records are available only to:
- The person named in the record (if at least 18 years of age)
- The parent of the person named in the record
- The legal guardian who provides proof of court appointment
- A photocopy of your valid government issued photo I.D. with signature is required
Death certificates are $17 for the first certified copy and $8 for each additional certified copy. (Attention Funeral Directors: A $10 submission fee is imposed on the first copy of all death certificates. The submission fee is waived if the initial record is submitted through the State of Illinois Vital Records System (IVRS)).
Death Certificate Request Application
- Death certificates may only be issued to those who have a personal or property interest with the descendent . You will be required to state your relationship and the intended use of document on the application.
- A photocopy of your valid government issued photo I.D. with signature and/or the Funeral Directors license is required.
Request Through Mail
Certificates can be requested through the mail by completing an application and submitting along with a photocopy of your valid government issued photo I.D. and/or Funeral Directors license. Checks made payable to City of Highland Park. Please allow 5-7 business days from date of payment receipt for processing, and an additional 3-4 days for mailing.
Please submit your request to:
City of Highland Park
Attn: Vital Records
1707 St. Johns Ave.
Highland Park, IL 60035
Illinois Department of Public Health
535 W. Jefferson St.
Springfield, Illinois 62761