caption freeform

Energy

From powering hospitals to keeping us warm during the winter, energy consumption is a vital aspect of our community. Unfortunately, energy consumption is one of the greatest contributors to global warming, as well as a sizable expense to residents and businesses in Highland Park. Improving energy effeciency and eliminating energy waste is essential action residents and business owners need to take. 

The City of Highland Park's current goal is to improve building energy efficiency by 50% by 2030 and source at least 50% of its heat and power from sustainable energy sources by 2030. Making a few small changes at home or in the workplace can result in a win-win situation for the environment and your bottom line. 

According to the US Energy Information Agency (EIA), Illinois households use 44% more energy than the average US household, due primarily to our many months of cool and cold weather. Home heating and hot water account for nearly 70% of local energy consumption!  The remaining 30% of Illinois household energy use is directly attributed to appliances and air conditioning. 

The average Illinois household spends around $2,100 per year on energy; if your bill is higher, consider the following options for reducing your home’s energy consumption. To learn more about energy effeciency visit the EPA's Energy and Environment website.

Energy Efficiency (Simple Steps)
The United States Environmental Protection Agency has put together several simple steps you can follow to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and save money. 
Learn more...

CUB Energy Savers Program
The Citizens Utility Board has several free online tools and energy saving ideas available. This program is not only beneficial to the environment, you can earn points that can be redeemed for discounts at participating retail stores.
Learn more...

Energy Star
ENERGY STAR is a United States Environmental Protection Agency voluntary program that helps businesses and individuals save money and protects our climate through superior energy efficiency.
Learn more...