The Highland Park Recycling Center at 1180 Half Day Road will resume regular operations on Tuesday, June 2nd for drive-up/drop-off recycling of electronics, foam, lightbulbs, and rechargeable batteries. Textile and shoe recycling is still suspended until further notice.
Essential Service Status
The Executive Order 20-10 for residents of Illinois to stay at home, issued by Governor of Illinois, J.B. Pritzker, allows essential infrastructure and associated employees to continue to travel for work related functions. Waste and recycling services, including recycling centers are specified as essential infrastructure in the order.
COVID-19 Safety Protocol
In light of precautions being taken to protect all residents from COVID-19, steps are being taken to minimize contact with site staff. Staff will wear masks and gloves and will regularly sanitize their hands using products from the US EPA list.
Safety Rules for Residents
In order to assure the health and safety of all, residents shall follow the below required guidelines. Workers may refuse service if resident fails to comply with the below rules.
• Materials to be recycled must be in the hatchback area or trunk of the vehicle. Items placed in passenger seats or back seats will not be accepted.
• Residents will remain in the vehicle with windows up and our workers will unload for you.
• Residents will unlock/open the trunk from inside the vehicle to allow worker to unload.
• Residents must wear a mask. If you have to communicate with event workers, you must have your mask on.
• All small loose electronics, cables, cords, remotes, etc. must be in a bag.
• All foam must be clean. All small foam containers must be in a bag.
• All fluorescent light bulbs must be in a box or bag. No broken light bulbs will be accepted.
• Please be patient with the workers, as the line will be moving a bit slower than normal in order to assure an appropriate spacing between workers and patrons.
• If residents are not comfortable allowing our workers to unload their recyclable materials from their car (the truck or hatch back area) then please do not attend this event.
• Residents under quarantine or isolation protocol are not allowed at the recycling center. If you have had COVID-19 in your household, you must be symptom free for at least two weeks before delivering materials to the recycling center. In addition, do not deliver materials to the recycling center if you are experiencing the following symptoms: fever, cough, shortness of breath/ difficulty breathing, sore throat, headache, rigors, myalgia, loss of taste, loss of smell, or have been exposed to someone that has tested positive for COVID-19.