Participants will experience firsthand what it takes to manage and operate the City. The program will include an overview of City government and an introduction to each City department and its functions, including various City facilities such as City Hall, the Public Services Building, Police and Fire Departments, and the Water Plant.
- October 5, 2023- (Week One): Welcome, Program Overview, City Council Overview at City Hall (1707 St. Johns Ave.)
- October 12, 2023 (Week Two): City Manager’s Office & Finance Department Overview of Services & Programs at City Hall
- October 19, 2023 (Week Three): Fire Department Overview of Services & Programs at Fire Station #33 (1130 Central Ave.)
- October 26, 2023 (Week Four): Police Department Overview of Services & Programs at the Police Department (1677 Old Deerfield Rd.)
- November 2, 2023 (Week Five): Public Works Department Overview of Services & Programs, including the Water Plant, at the Public Services Building (1180 Half-Day Rd.)
- November 9 (Week Six): Community Development Department Overview of Services & Programs, at the Public Services Building (1180 Half-Day Rd.)
- November 16 (Week Seven): Graduation & Feedback at City Hall
For more information, please email Management Analyst Chris O'Neill at email@example.com.
What should I wear to the Resident Academy class?
The City recommends business casual or casual attire. No offensive T-shirts or ripped clothing please.
What if I have to miss a Resident Academy class session?
City staff understands there may be scheduling conflict during the Resident Academy Fall Session. Attendees may miss one (1) Resident Academy class during the seven-week session and still graduate the course.
Can I bring a guest to a Resident Academy class?
Only pre-registered and approved Resident Academy participants may attend courses. Space and supplies are limited.
Will dinner be provided?
Dinner will not be provided however you will be able to bring snacks & drinks with you to all City facilities except the Water Plant. Please do not bring any snacks containing tree nuts in consideration of allergies.
Will photos and/or videos of the Resident Academy classes and activities be taken by City staff and then posted on social media?
City staff does take photos and/or video of Fire, Police, Resident and Youth Police Academies in effort to showcase resident participation and foster positive community relations. Please talk with the instructor if you prefer not to be featured in any photographs or promotions for the Academy.
I am unable to arrange for child/pet care, may I bring my child and/or pet to Resident Academy courses?
Children and/or pets are not allowed to attend City Resident Academy courses.
I am an Illinois Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) License Holder, may I bring my concealed carry weapon to Resident Academy?
Concealed Weapons are not allowed in any City, Park District of Highland Park, or school building or property.