In Highland Park, the City Clerk is an appointed position and the duties of the position are derived from the Illinois State Statutes and Municipal Ordinances. Primary among the Clerk's responsibilities are:
- Recording the City Council proceedings and conforming City Ordinances and Resolutions for the Permanent Record.
- Maintaining the City Code, the City's governing document, by updating the Ordinance changes as they are passed by the City Council.
- Serving as the local registrar for birth and death certificates. (Please contact the Finance Department to obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate 847.432.0800)
- Administering the City's Records Management Program by retaining all signed contracts and agreements.
- Overseeing the City's response to all Freedom of Information Requests.
- Maintaining the Corporate Seal for the City.
- Serving as the Local Election Authority by registering voters and assisting candidates for office.
- Issuing various licenses for businesses and community events.