caption freeform

Frequently Asked Questions

I lost my ticket what should I do?
Please call Ashley Palbitska, Deputy City Clerk at 847.926.1034. She can advise you of your hearing date and time.

I need special accommodations during the hearing-what should I do?
Please contact Ashley Palbitska at or 847.926.1030 to indicate the special accommodations you require.
Accommodation Request Form

If I pay my ticket now do I still need to attend the hearing?
Yes. A hearing date has been set for your ticket. You may plead liable and be heard ahead of those choosing to plead not liable, but you are still required to attend.

I am unavailable to attend my hearing date-can I reschedule?
If you have a conflict on the date of your hearing, please contact Ashley Palbitska  at 847.926.1034 at least five (5) days prior to your hearing to request a continuance. If you fail to appear at a scheduled hearing without requesting a continuance, the Hearing Officer will find you in default

I am unhappy with the Hearing Officer's decision-what can I do?
You are entitled to an Administrative Review at the Lake County Circuit Court. You may contact the Circuit Court Clerk at 847-377-3380 within 35 days of your hearing. The Circuit Court is located at 18 N. County Street, Waukegan, IL 60085.

What happens if I don't pay?
If you are found liable, you are legally obligated to pay the fine within 30 days. If you do not pay the fine, your judgment will be sent to a collection agency.

I would like to contest my red light camera violation but am unable to attend the hearing what should I do?
Mail the Non-Resident Hearing Request Coupon (Option C – page 2 of the documentation you received with the citation) to the Highland Park Police Department, 1677 Old Deerfield Rd, Highland Park, IL 60035. You must include a notarized statement of facts specifying the grounds for challenging the Violation Notice. Please ensure your request is submitted before the due date indicated on Page 4 of the Instruction Sheet.

What should I wear to the hearing?
Presentable attire is requested.

Do I need an attorney?
You are not obligated to retain an attorney but if you prefer legal representation, your attorney will need to complete an ‘Appearance for Defendant’ form. Please click on the link below to obtain the form. Once the appearance form is completed, please submit to Ashley Palbitska via email at or in person at the hearing.
Appearance for Defendant Form

Where should I park?
Parking is available across the street from City Hall in the Hazel lot.

I missed/forgot about my hearing-what happens now?
If you fail to appear the Hearing Officer will find you in default. You will receive a ‘Findings, Decision & Order’ and a letter instructing you on the procedure to file a ‘Motion to Set Aside Default’ (included with letter). Please find the link to the form below. If you do not respond within 21 days of the hearing you will be legally obligated to pay the fine rendered in the Hearing Officer’s decision.
Motion to Set Aside Default Instructions and Form

How long will attending the hearing take?
Hearings range in length from a few minutes to several hours depending on the number of cases on the docket and how you plan to plead. Those who plead liable are often heard first. Upon receipt of the Officer’s Findings, Decision & Order you may make payment and leave.

When do I have to pay my fine by?
Your fine is due immediately following the hearing and can be paid to the Finance Clerk in the back of the room or the Finance Window in the lobby. Failure to pay will result in your judgment being sent to collections.

What happens if I am unable to pay?
If you are experiencing financial hardship, you may request a payment plan be established to pay your fine in weekly, bi-monthly or monthly installments. It is important to make regular payments. If you miss a payment, the outstanding balance of your judgment will be sent to a collection agency.

How do I request certified copies of the written Findings, Decision & Order issued?
You or your attorney may submit a ‘Certification of Order(s) Request’ to receive certified copies of orders. Please click on the link below to access the form. You may email the request to Ashley Palbitska at or by fax 847.432.7625.
Certification of Order(s) Request Form

I am a student and will be away at college during my hearing date, what can I do?
You may request a continuance to the next date you are able to attend a hearing.

I am a minor-how will this affect my permanent record?
Having your ticket adjudicated in Administrative Hearings in Highland Park does not affect your legal record. The City of Highland Park does not report Hearing outcomes to authorities at the County or State level.

Can my parents attend the hearing in my absence?
No. If you are unable to attend a hearing, you may request a continuance by calling Ashley Palbitska at 847.926.1034 at least five (5) days before your scheduled hearing; a new hearing date will be set for you. Parents are encouraged to attend with minors.

Why is the City sending Administrative Hearing tickets to collections?
The City Council voted to remove the calculation of interest on outstanding fines as a method to enforce payment and uniformly send administrative hearing tickets as it does other late payments to a collection agency for redemption.

I was ticketed awhile ago, why is this going to collections now?
When a judgment is ordered and a fine levied, it must be paid. Outstanding tickets, even tickets issued less than recently, are all eligible to be forwarded to collections for redemption.

Can I just pay at City Hall?
All tickets but Red Light Violation tickets can be paid at the Finance window inside City Hall. However, if your fine has already been forwarded to Collections, you will also have to pay the collection fee. It is best if payment is made prior to being sent to collections.

Can I get on a payment plan or make installment payments?
If your ticket has not yet been sent to collections, you may contact Ashley Palbitska at or call 847.926.1034 to discuss payment options. If your ticket has already been sent to collections, you will need to speak with the agency directly.

Will the agency settle with me for a reduced amount?
You must contact the agency directly to discuss payment options. Credit Management Control can be reached at 1.866.844.2358 or

How do I get in touch with the collection agency?
The City employs Credit Management Control. They can be reached at 1.866.844.2358 or