The City Manager’s Office leads the effort to reduce the City’s solid waste volume, increase recycling programs and compost participation.
The City of Highland Park is participating as a pilot community in the Lake County Community Compost and Food Waste Reduction Grant, awarded to SWALCO by the USDA.
For more information about this grant project, visit the USDA Grant page. You Composting Yet? Here's How To Start!
Lake Shore Recycling Systems
As of January 1, 2016, Lakeshore Recycling Systems (LRS) is Highland Park's waste and recycling hauler for residential, commercial, and multi-family properties. Please visit lrsrecycles.com to read about residential waste management in Highland Park.
||Primary Day (Once a Week)
||Second Day (Twice a week)
| Southeast Quadrant
| Southwest Quadrant
| Northeast Quadrant
| Northwest Quadrant
Please refer to this map to locate your street and quadrant.
Hours of Collection
Collection begins at 7:00 AM. Please have your materials ready in their appropriate locations at that time. Please put your materials out no earlier than 7:00 PM the evening before your scheduled pick-up for the sake of appearance.
Note: Pick-up times will vary with routing changes or extreme weather conditions.
Monthly Base Fee: $6.16 charged to all Highland Park residents regardless of service.
|Locations to Buy Refuse Stickers at $2.71 each|
1707 St. Johns Avenue
2503 Waukegan Road
1600 Deerfield Road
|Mutual Ace Hardware
1393 Half Day Road
1812 Green Bay Road
632 Roger Williams Avenue 847.432.8170
Curbside Volume-based Service:
- 35-gallon trash cart $2.71 per service + base fee $6.16
- 65-gallon trash cart $5.42 per service + base fee $6.16
- 95-gallon trash cart $8.14 per service + base fee $6.16
35-gallon trash cart
- $2.71 per service + $23.86 per month ($17.70 backdoor charge + base fee $6.16)
(1) 35g or 65g *trash cart + (1) 35g, 65g, or 95g recycle cart
*Customer may choose a 95g trash cart for an additional premium fee of $5.21 per month
- 1x per week service $24.97 per month ($18.81 per month + base fee $6.16)
- 2x per week service $44.88 per month ($38.72 per month + base fee $6.16)
(1) 35g trash cart + (1) 35g or 65g recycle cart
- 1x per week service $42.67 per month ($18.81 + $17.70 backdoor charge + base fee $6.16)
- 2x per week service $62.58 per month ($38.72 + $17.70 backdoor charge + base fee $6.16)
April 1st – December 15th includes (1) 35g cart upon request
- Subscription Service $249.20 per season
- Volume-based (Sticker) $2.71 sticker per 32g cart, kraft bag, or bundle not exceeding 4ft in length,
- 24in in diameter and 50lbs in weight
- Additional Carts: $3.32 per cart per month rental
- Extra Waste: $2.71 sticker per 32-gallon bag
- Large & Bulky Items: $15.61 per yard – 2yd minimum
- Appliances: $42.35 per appliance
- Cart Delivery or Exchange: $27.65
- Construction Debris: $31.21 per yard
The rate for Equipment & Personnel: $135.57/ hour per worker and vehicle.
A list of FAQs has been compiled to help answer any questions regarding waste, recycling, and composting. If you have further questions about waste and recycling programs, please contact LRS at 773.685.8811.
- Residential Waste and Recycling FAQ
- Commercial Waste and Recycling FAQ
- What Items are Recyclable and Compostable?
- Curbside Recycling Information
- Where to Recycle Guide
- Residential Guide for Waste and Recycling Collection in Highland Park
Landscape Waste Collection
The landscape waste program runs from April 1st to December 15th of each year. Service is provided on the same day as refuse and recycling collection. Yard waste is placed in a 30-gallon biodegradable paper bag, bundled, or placed in a metal or plastic container up to 33 gallons in size. Bags, bundles, and containers may not exceed 50 pounds and are to be placed at the curb for collection. Containers must be marked as yard waste. Bundles cannot exceed 4 feet in length and 2 feet in diameter. Branches within each bundle may not exceed 3 inches in diameter.
Annual spring clean-up/ Bulk Item Pickup
Spring clean-up is offered year-round through Lakeshore Recycling Systems (LRS) bulk item pickup service. Highland Park residents are permitted to dispose of one bulk item (up to 50 pounds) per pickup on the same day as service and must be placed by the curb. The following items will not be collected during spring clean-up or the weekly bulk item collection: White goods, electronics, items over 50 pounds (requiring two employees to lift safely), or construction debris. For these items, Lakeshore Recycling Systems asks customers to call the customer service line at 773.685.8811 or email Info@LRSrecycles.com. Get the word out to neighbors - you don't need to wait for spring to get rid of unwanted items!
Carpet is considered construction debris and must be less than 4 feet in length and 18 inches in diameter. For proper carpet disposal, please call the customer service line at 773.685.8811 to arrange for a special pickup.
Mattresses that are placed out for removal should be wrapped and sealed. Shrink-wrapping is optimal, but plastic bags that have been taped together is acceptable too. This will help drivers avoid bed bug issues and/or mattresses difficult to lift due to soaking up rain or water.
Please call ahead to notify LRS of any curbside bulk item at 773.685.8811.
*If more than one bulk item is left out for pickup, you will need to call LRS to receive a quote for removal.
Electronic Recycling Pickup
LRS will collect one large electronic item under 50lbs (televisions, monitors, computers, speakers, etc.) or three small electronic waste items (phones, computer mice, radios, adding machines, etc.) on the first customer collection day of each month. Please contact LRS for information regarding large or small-sized electronic waste options at 773.685.8811or email@example.com.
White goods and appliances (washers and dryers, refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers, stoves, AC units, water heaters, freezers, etc.) are not accepted. If you have an appliance or white good that needs removal, please contact an LRS Service Representative at 773.685.8811 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule service. A charge of $41.32 per item will be charged.
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
If a holiday falls on a weekday or Sunday, the collection is delayed by one day for the rest of the week. Pick-up will be made on Saturday to return to the normal schedule by the following Monday. Learn more about observed holidays..