The City Manager’s Office leads the effort to reduce the City’s solid waste volume, increase recycling programs and compost participation.
All single-family residents may participate in community-wide curbside composting by utilizing their 3rd LRS cart, specifically for disposal of yard waste and food scraps. This material will be collected by LRS and made into compost, a soil amendment.
You may put acceptable materials into this cart and place it at the curb, no sticker required, on your regular pick-up day. Additional information on the cart and acceptable materials is available here.
If you do not want the new cart for any reason, please visit the following link: LRSrecycles.com/HighlandParkOrganics so that you can submit your information in order to not receive delivery. You can also call LRS at 844.NEED.LRS or email Service@LRSrecycles.com with any inquiries or requests.
Lake Shore Recycling Systems
As of January 1, 2016, Lakeshore Recycling Systems (LRS) is Highland Park's waste and recycling hauler for residential, commercial, and multi-family properties. Please visit lrsrecycles.com to read about residential waste management in Highland Park.
||Primary Day (Once a Week)
||Second Day (Twice a week)
| Southeast Quadrant
| Southwest Quadrant
| Northeast Quadrant
| Northwest Quadrant
Please refer to this map to locate your street and quadrant.
Hours of Collection
Collection begins at 7:00 AM. Please have your materials ready in their appropriate locations at that time. Please put your materials out no earlier than 7:00 PM the evening before your scheduled pick-up for the sake of appearance.
Note: Pick-up times will vary with routing changes or extreme weather conditions.
All options require a $9.91 monthly base fee regardless of service type. Recycling is included.
|Locations to Buy Refuse Stickers at $2.63 each|
1707 St. Johns Avenue
2503 Waukegan Road
1600 Deerfield Road
|Mutual Ace Hardware
1393 Half Day Road
1812 Green Bay Road
1590 Old Deerfield Road
Curbside RFID Volume-based Service:
- 35-gallon trash cart $2.63 per service + base fee $9.91
- 65-gallon trash cart $5.26 per service + base fee $9.91
- 95-gallon trash cart $7.89 per service + base fee $9.91
35-gallon trash cart only
- $2.63 per service (sticker is required) + $36.16 per month ($26.25 backdoor charge + base fee $9.91)
(1) 35g or 65g *trash cart + (1) 35g, 65g, or 95g recycle cart
*Customer may choose a 95g trash cart for an additional premium fee of $5.80 per month
- 1x per week service $27.20 per month ($17.29 per month + base fee $9.91)
- 2x per week service $66.61 per month ($56.70 per month + base fee $9.91)
(1) 35g trash cart + (1) 35g or 65g recycle cart
- 1x per week service $48.25 per month ($38.34 backdoor charge + base fee $9.91)
- 2x per week service $88.66 per month ($78.75 backdoor charge + base fee $9.91)
35g, 65g or 95g carts only offered as 1x per week service. Recycling service can be curbside (any size) or backdoor (35g or 65g) based on trash service. Split service is not available.
- Extra Waste: 1 sticker per loose bag (under 50lbs each)
- Extra Recycling: No additional charge. Please place next to recycling cart on service day. Do not use plastic bags for recycling. Flatten any cardboard boxes or use one as a makeshift bin.
- Large & Bulky Items: 1x per week, no additional charge on regular collection day. Any additional items are $16.07 per yard - 2 yard minimum - curbside only. Mattresses and box springs should be wrapped in some type of plastic for the safety of our drivers and to protect them from the weather.
- Construction Debris (Home Improvement Project): $37.08 per yard (this includes rolls of carpet - curbside only)
- Appliances/White Goods: $44.63 per item
- E-Waste: No charge on first service day of the month for 1 item (under 50lbs) or 3 small items (paper bag)
- Cart Delivery or Exchange: $28.47, no charge for new customers
- Christmas Trees: No charge until January 25 each year. $30 per tree after January 25.
Appliance/White Goods - $44.63 per item (prescheduling is required)
E-Waste N/C on first service day of the month - 1 item (under 50lbs) or 3 small items (paper bag)
A list of FAQs has been compiled to help answer any questions regarding waste, recycling, and composting. If you have further questions about waste and recycling programs, please contact LRS at 844.633.3577.
- Residential Waste and Recycling FAQ
- Commercial Waste and Recycling FAQ
- What Items are Recyclable and Compostable?
- Curbside Recycling Information
- Where to Recycle Guide
- Residential Guide for Waste and Recycling Collection in Highland Park
Landscape Waste Collection
The landscape waste program runs from April 1st to December 15th of each year. Service is provided on the same day as refuse and recycling collection. Yard waste is placed in a 30-gallon biodegradable paper bag, bundled, or placed in a metal or plastic container up to 33 gallons in size. Bags, bundles, and containers may not exceed 50 pounds and are to be placed at the curb for collection. Containers must be marked as yard waste. Bundles cannot exceed 4 feet in length and 18 inches in diameter.
Annual Spring Clean-up/ Bulk Item Pickup
Spring clean-up is offered year-round through LRS bulk item pickup service. Highland Park residents are permitted to dispose of one bulk item (up to 50 pounds) per pickup on the same day as service and must be placed by the curb. The following items will not be collected during spring clean-up or the weekly bulk item collection: White goods, electronics, items over 50 pounds (requiring two employees to lift safely), or construction debris. Please contact LRS at 844.633.3577 or email service@LRSrecycles.com to arrange pickup.
Carpet is considered construction debris and must be less than 4 feet in length and 18 inches in diameter. For proper carpet disposal, please call the customer service line at 844.633.3577 to arrange for a special pickup.
Mattresses that are placed out for removal should be wrapped and sealed. Shrink-wrapping is optimal, but plastic bags that have been taped together is acceptable too. This will help drivers avoid bed bug issues and/or mattresses difficult to lift due to soaking up rain or water.
Please call ahead to notify LRS of any curbside bulk item at 844.633.3577.
In partnership with LRS, the City has released the following Spring Clean-Up dates for 2023:
- If your collection is Monday, your Clean-Up Day is Saturday, April 22
- If your collection is Tuesday, your Clean-Up Day is Saturday, April 29
- If your collection is Thursday, your Clean-Up Day is Saturday, May 6
- If your collection is Friday, your Clean-Up Day is Saturday, May 13
For more information, please click here.
Electronic Recycling Pickup
LRS will collect one large electronic item under 50lbs (televisions, monitors, computers, speakers, etc.) or three small electronic waste items (phones, computer mice, radios, adding machines, etc.) on the first customer collection day of each month. Please contact LRS for information regarding large or small-sized electronic waste options at 844.633.3577 or service@LRSrecycles.com.
White goods and appliances (washers and dryers, refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers, stoves, AC units, water heaters, freezers, etc.) are not accepted. If you have an appliance or white good that needs removal, please contact an LRS Service Representative at 844.633.3577 or service@LRSrecycles.com to schedule service. A charge of $44.63 per item will be charged.
Household Chemical Waste
Household Chemical Waste is not allowed in conventional waste streams. LRS recommends residents consult the Solid Waste Agency of Lake County (SWALCO) at 847.336.9340, or www.swalco.org to schedule an appointment to properly dispose of HCW’s. Items include, but are not limited to: Paint, Cleaning Products, Pesticides, Solvents, Oil, Antifreeze, Insecticides, Lawn Chemicals
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
If a holiday falls on a weekday or Sunday, the collection is delayed by one day for the rest of the week. Pick-up will be made on Saturday to return to the normal schedule by the following Monday. Learn more about observed holidays.