As 2017 quickly approaches, consider a New Year’s Resolution to make a difference or get involved in your community. Some New Year’s resolutions may be to try new things, volunteer, or learn new skills. Below is a list of New Year’s Resolutions that can help you get involved and improve our City.
1. CompostHighland Park’s new curbside composting service allows residents to dispose of compostable materials such as fruit and vegetable peels, egg shells, coffee grounds, paper napkins and yard waste in a curbside bin between April 1 and December 15. Visit the City's composting page here.
2. Join Highland Park's Citizen Police Academy or Citizen Fire Academy Each fall, residents have an opportunity to participate in either the Citizen Police Academy or the Citizen Fire Academy. Participants experience hands-on, interactive fun as they learn what it takes to be a firefighter or police officer in Highland Park. Contact Police Sergeant Jennifer Olsen at email@example.com to participate in the 2017 Citizen Police Academy and/or contact Fire Lieutenant Joe Schrage at firstname.lastname@example.org to participate in 2017 Citizen Fire Academy.
3. Meet a New NeighborIt's important to get to know your neighbors to build a sense of community, trust and friendship. Find out ways to get to know your neighbor better here.
4. Participate in a City Sponsored Event The City sponsors a handful of events throughout the year and welcomes all residents to participate in the fun. The next upcoming event is the Martin Luther King Day of Service on Monday, January 14 at the Highland Park Recreational Center. To find out how to participate or for more information on the event, visit cityhpil.com/MLK.
5. Participate in Local Classes, Events and Activities Embrace Highland Park’s vibrancy by partaking in local events, activities and classes. If you are 50 or older, consider joining the Highland Park Senior Center to participate in special classes and local events at discounted prices. For more information, click here. Students in grades 6 - 8 can socialize as they participate in an assortment of activities after school by signing up for the Highland Park Youth Services After School Club; click here for addition information.
6. VolunteerConnect with new people, feel a unique sense of satisfaction and help those in need by volunteering with the Volunteer Pool of Highland Park or at Moraine Township’s food pantry.
However you decide to make a difference, make a change for the better and have a safe and happy New Year!